Thursday, September 1, 2005

Relief Effort Scams

I spent part of my day today helping to track down internet scammers who are taking advantage of the compassion of people wanting to help in the relief effort. I was extremely glad I got the phone call to help in this unique way. I say all this not to toot my own horn but to help sped the word about these lowlifes.

As with the tsunami last winter, people have begun to set up phony websites designed to bilk compassionate people of their money and other personal information. Not only are they stealing from the givers but, more importantly, they are stealing from the victims of Katrina. I pray that they make restitution and ask God for forgiveness. In the mean time, I will do my part to shut them down.

If you are planning on giving to a charitable organization, here's some advice on the how to avoid phishing scams. Also, consider giving to organizations you know well. I plan on giving to the Northwest Medical Teams, but you should always be cautious about giving online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home