Friday, January 4, 2008

Proof of God's Existence, A Project

Over the past year, I have written extensively (and privately) about how I came to be a Christian. Mainly, I did that in response to my councilor's suggestion that, perhaps, my conception of faith, reason, God, Jesus, Church life, fellowship, and so on may be contributing to my bouts of depression. This was not an attack on my faith. Rather, it was an attempt to get me to think through some of my own biases and preconceptions and examine them in light of how I process the world at large. Essentially, my councilor wanted me to see if I was sliding unhealthy thinking into my Christianity.

Long story short: I realized that I never really tackled the issue of God's existence during my conversion from atheism and would like to do that this year.

I've avoided the "epistemology of the ontology of God" throughout my philosophical life. Mainly because epistemology is something I've only had passing interest. I really enjoyed Kantian epistemology in school and was glad when The Matrix spurred some interest in the topic, but, for me, how we know what we know is fairly mundane. Either way, that is where I will need to begin.

Secondly, I would like to examine some of the major arguments for God's existence. On the outset, I'm skeptical that any one of them will hold much water for me, so this should be interesting.

Finally, I'd like to form some reasoned response to the question: "Why does Lee believe in God?" by the end of the year based on my examinations of these arguments. This sounds like something I can pull off in one year. Whether or not I am able to articulate my subjective belief (even if I believe there is ample objective evidence all around us) in God remains to be seen.

Related blog entries:

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Monday, December 26, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee, how I would love to be able to help convince you, beyond the shadow of doubt that you are right in believing that God exists.

Here is a paragraph from one of my posts that you might add to the many reasons why you should believe that God exists.

"Because I have seen His beauty I believe with all my heart and soul that God exists, and nobody can convince me of the contrary. Had I been born blind, I wouldn't be missing the beauty of His light, but for a while I was given the gift to see it, and then the sight was removed from me again.

I'm blind yes, and aware of being blind and I assure you that the pain one endures from the knowledge of his blindness is far worse than that of someone who is also blind but thinks that he can see.

I am here to tell you about what I saw when my eyes were opened, but in the end it would be best if you could see it yourself."

http://www.divinethunder.blogspot.com/2011/10/be-respectful-of-what-you-are-going-to_24.html

Keep knocking, and the door shall be opened to you.

Peace and Love in Christ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home