Monday, January 7, 2008

False Prophesy

I don't usually comment on current events and politics, but this certainly has me thinking.

Last year, Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson announced that there will be an attack, possibly radiological or nuclear, on the United States that would cause "mass killing". The year before, he predicted that the Oregon coast would be hit by a massive Tsunami and that the Republicans would keep control of the Congress. In 2004, he "foresaw" the "landslide" re-election of President Bush. Noting that these events hadn't come to pass in the way he foresaw, Robertson said, "All I can think is that somehow the people of God prayed and God in his mercy spared us." Maybe, God changed His mind?

This year, Robertson claims that God told him that the world will continue to see violence (duh!) and recession will hit the U.S. economy. Oil will surpass $150/barrel as the dollar continues to loose ground. Additionally, "We will see the presence of angels," he prophesied, "and we will see an intensification of miracles around the world."

While I certainly believe and hope that miracles will increase, I am not sure how one might quantify that claim. Perhaps, that's what Mr. Robertson is hoping for. Perhaps, he's just hoping that we forget his mistakes as well. I'm willing to do so, if he stops pretending to speak for God. My Bible tells me that, at the very least, I should ignore people who claim that God told them something, that God Himself has informed the would-be prophet of an impending event, yet that event did not come to pass (Jeremiah 23:16, 1 John 4:1). It's just sound advice; people who don't know enough to question their own "visions" should not be a leader, in my opinion.

I used to enjoy The 700 Club even if I found some of the opinions to be unsound or unjustifiable, but I don't think I can support something that only helps atheism any more.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home