Monday, May 15, 2006

At Providence Portland's Chapel

I had a client today that I was supposed to meet at 9:00 AM today at Providence Portland, but somehow we missed each other. A co-worker said the client wouldn't be in for another half-hour, so I had a chance to spend some time in the chapel.

For the most part, I was alone for just a half hour, but it was a very good half hour. I tried to focus my mind on God, but ended up thinking about the job I was at the hospital for. With some effort, I was able to turn my mind toward a prayer for guidance and, through the swirling thoughts in my mind, I was aware of one thing I think I've never really understood about holy places: God is not more available or present in places set aside for "religious activities". Rather, I am.

It's easy to think that, perhaps, God isn't with us during our busy days. But it's clearer to me now that He really is. It's just that, here I am in my office, with my job notes, my humming computer, my books, my snacks, I don't have as much time for God as God has for me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home