Thursday, October 4, 2007

Jesus, the Only Way?

I was considering the claim that Christians are arrogant for believing Jesus is the only way to God today. I've always recognized that there are a lot of things that can really only be done way, but I've never been able to formalize that thought as a counter-argument to Christian arrogance. Today, I may have found a solution.

Let's say someone says that Christians are arrogant for claiming that they are the possessors of the "only way to God" and I respond, in turn, that there are, indeed, many things that require only one solution. The most common retort would be to create an analogy: "Are you saying that there is only one way to get from Portland, Oregon to Washington, D.C.?"

I believe, if my understanding of "getting to God" is correct (i.e. a walk), then my surprising answer is yes, there is only one way to get to Washington, D.C.: You must move from Portland, Oregon. Whether you drive I-5 south and take a left in San Diego or take a more direct route by flying from PDX to Ronald Reagan Washington National airport, you still MUST leave Portland. If my understanding of Christianity is correct (it may not be), then leaving sin ("Portland", yeah, analogies suck! hehe) is the only first step possible. God is not a simple destination. Rather, God will meet you as soon as you do that one thing, the only thing possible.

I will have to give this argument some more thought. While I think it's essentially sound, there are some holes. To be continued . . .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home