Sunday, September 11, 2005

September 11th

Today was the fourth anniversary of the September 11th attacks on New York City World Trade Center and the Pentagon, but, it can safely be said, I didn't really think about it until now (9:40 PM). Had I been thinking of tragedies, I would have been focused on my relations down in Mississippi and Louisiana today.

Rather than dwell on such things, I spent most of it with my wife's family, at Champoeg State Park. With such profound normalcy, on such a beautiful late summer day, it seemed a shame to give much thought to such things; it just didn't seem to be the right time. Rather, I B.S.'ed with my father-in-law about Web servers, ate KFC and blueberry pie and let the girls chase me around the park. That doesn't mean that I can't take time out now, to say a prayer for those still suffering from the terror attacks four years ago, or those currently displaced by the power of a hurricane.

In the third chapter of Ecclesiastes, we are told that "there is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven." God gives us each minute of our life. We have to decide how best to use it. Today certainly is a day to remember. For some of us, today could be used to mourn, if that's appropriate. Today is also a day to celebrate what we have, to enjoy our families, the start of the NFL season, bulb planting or whatever God has put in our hearts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home