Monday, October 8, 2007

Halo 3, an Ethical Church Recruiting Tool?

As a long-time computer gamer and programmer, I have mixed feelings about the use of violent computer games as Christian recruiting tools. As reported in the New York Times (Thou Shalt Not Kill, Except in a Popular Video Game at Church), Halo 3 has just become such a tool.

I tend to disagree with Daniel R. Heimbach, a professor of Christian ethics at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, when he says, “To justify whatever killing is involved by saying that it’s just pixels involved is an illusion." There is a qualitative (and, one might argue, quantative) difference between blowing up a pixelized, 3D alien and tossing a real life hand grenade into the lap of a real life person. The only illusion here is the illusion that opponents in a computer game appear to be "alive". They are, of course, not. There's no difference between "killing" a monster (or another "person" for that matter), in a computer game and knocking down mechanical ducks at a carnival.

That said, I certainly do not discount the power of video games to desensitize, dehumanize and disassociate our actions from any real consequences. I can personally attest to the insidious way in which a computer game can subtly change the ethical perspectives of a player. I have no doubt in my mind that violent computer games can contribute to unethical and criminal behavior.

On top of those general observations, to use something clearly designed for mature audiences (at least 17 years old) to draw kids to church seems mildly irresponsible. While it is important to be all things to all people in order to help them come to Christ, I don't believe this falls under that mandate. Hey, if people want to play Halo 3, be my guest. I hear it's a great game. Hosting a Halo party sounds like a great outreach. I just don't see how it really is appropriate for kids.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home